On Monday (21st September) evening, Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) claimed a 10-run victory in their tournament-opening match against SunRisers Hyderabad (SRH) at Dubai International Cricket Stadium (Dubai).
SunRisers Hyderabad captain David Warner decided to field first after winning the toss. While Royal Challengers Bangalore managed to score 163/5 (20 overs) in the first innings, they restricted SunRisers Hyderabad to 153 runs (19.4 overs).
Brief Scores: RCB – 163/5 in 20 overs (Devdutt Padikkal 56, AB de Villiers 51; Vijay Shankar 1/14)
SRH – 153 in 19.4 overs (Jonny Bairstow 61, Manish Pandey 34, Yuzvendra Chahal 3/18)
The result – RCB won by 10 runs
IPL 2020, Match 3: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore (SRH vs RCB) – Statistical Highlights
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB)
i) Royal Challengers Bangalore won this match by 10 runs.
- Since IPL 2017, it was the first victory for RCB in their IPL season opener. Before this victory, RCB suffered three straight defeats in their previous three IPL season openers (2017, 2018 and 2019).
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB)
i) It was the 50th IPL victory for Virat Kohli as a captain.
- Virat Kohli becomes the fourth captain to win at least 50 IPL matches. As an RCB captain like him, all these other three captains have managed to claim 50 or more IPL victories for a team.
i) RCB is the eighth IPL team for Australian cricketer Aaron Finch.
- Aaron Finch becomes the first cricketer to play for eight different IPL teams.
i) On his IPL debut, Devdutt Padikkal scored 56 runs.
- Devdutt Padikkal is the second RCB batsman to score a half-century on IPL debut. Shreevats Goswami was the first RCB batsman to score a fifty on IPL debut as he scored 52 (against Delhi Daredevils at Bengaluru on 19th May 2008).
- After Sam Billings (Delhi Daredevils) in IPL 2016, Padikkal became the first batsman to score a fifty on IPL debut.
- Padikkal is the 8th Indian batsman to score a fifty on IPL debut.
Aaron Finch and Devdutt Padikkal
i) RCB openers Aaron Finch and Devdutt Padikkal put the 90 run partnership for the first wicket.
- It was the second-highest opening partnership for RCB against SRH. Their record partnership in this list is 114 runs partnership between Chris Gayle and Virat Kohli at Bengaluru on 29th May 2016.
- It was the fifth-highest partnership for any wicket for RCB against SRH.
AB de Villiers
i) South African cricketer AB de Villiers has hit 201 IPL sixes for RCB.
- AB de Villiers is the second batsman to hit 200+ IPL sixes for RCB. Their former cricketer Chris Gayle was the first batsman to achieve this feat as the left-handed batsman smashed 239 IPL sixes for this team.
i) Leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal had the bowling figures of 4-0-18-3.
- It is the best bowling figures by an RCB bowler against SRH. The previous record was 3-0-24-3 by Washington Sundar at Bengaluru on 4th May 2019.
SunRisers Hyderabad (SRH)
i) It was the 48th game for Australian cricketer David Warner as an IPL captain.
- David Warner is now the third most-capped overseas captain in IPL history by surpassing former Sri Lankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara (47 IPL matches as captain). Only the former Australian cricketers Adam Gilchrist (74 matches) and Shane Warne (55 matches) have managed to lead more times in IPL history.
i) Wicket-keeper batsman Jonny Bairstow scored 61 runs.
- It was the third-highest individual score for an SRH batsman against RCB in the second innings of a match. The top two scores in this list are 81 by Kane Williamson and 62* by Manish Pandey both at Bengaluru on 17th May 2018.